Food Waste Solutions Discussion 1
23 Sept 2017
A first attempt for food-related practitioners (foodscapers, urban farmers, freegans, chefs, etc.) to brainstorm productive next steps to counter the wicked problem of food waste in Singapore, and create actionable next steps for ourselves to work on or gather teams to work on.
Notes on our process, rationale, and outcomes are laid out here.
Our next steps are to refine the framework of efforts. These efforts should:
- Consider a Food Waste Web of Actors (that Foodscape can keep track of/host discussions for).
- Utilise Public Education sessions such as Feeding the 5K (hosted by Gone Adventurin’), to do a few things:
- increase consumer awareness, which includes working closely with organizations (Note: since in SG the govt is so linked to all parts of public life, this includes working with govt bodies) – NEA, SWCDC, student groups, schools, fruit&veg sellers.
- targeting changes in tradition in biz and amongst consumers (working with B2B solutions to change consumer habits).
- urban farming – ? Not clear.
- channel public attention to push “enabling legislation” for food waste reduction and recycling. (also see point 5)
- involve an element of data collection, that can support the development of such legislation. Data can be made useful to the gradual development of legislation e.g. working with govt stakeholders to pilot data collection that can inform more grounded (valid) legislation.
- Food waste solutions must support distributors in cutting cost.
- education especially environmental education, which must include new narratives for food waste solutions – 3R that is grounded in existing issues.